Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Washington, DC: A Sweet and Savory Review

Hello Kit's Cakes bleaders
(blog-readers?) 
I am writing to you all from our great Nation's capitol with a few sweet and savory food reviews!

For those who don't personally know me, I am blessed with an amazing occupation that allows me to travel.  Sometimes this is not so glamourous, but on occasion I am able to try out some new and different things.

The past two weeks have been spent in one of my favorite places, Washington, D.C. 
There are a good number of reasons why I enjoy it here so much.  One can't deny the allure of so much United States history, art & culture, and of course delicious cuisine!

This trip started off with an awesome dinner at a Finemondo in Downtown D.C.
Highlights of this meal included an amazing tuna steak over some perfectly season fava beans, but the real star shone brightly in the Torta di Ricotta:
{Deliciously creamy ricotta goodness-all cheese, no crust!}
Another evening was spent at one of the neatest places I have been in D.C.
POV Roof Terrace is a combination bar/restaurant/club at the top of the W Hotel in Downtown. The entrance was free, the drinks were not excessively expensive, and the view cannot be beat!
{Blurry picture taken from the POV Roof Terrace}
No trip to the District is ever complete without at least a few cupcakes!
I feel like there is an entire post of comparisons between the different cupcake boutiques in Washington, D.C. but I will only highlight the ones that I have recently frequented.

This first shop can be seen each Friday night at 10pm on TLC.
Although the television program is called, "DC Cupcakes" the actual brick and mortar storefront is in the quaint little town of Georgetown, and is aptly called Georgetown Cupcake!  
I have definitely had my fair share of Georgetown Cupcakes, and they are all delicious. 
My all-time favorite is this little gem:
I cannot say no to an awesome coconut cake.
Or cupcake.
Or coconut straight out of the bag...but I digress.

Well, this trip I also ventured out a bit, and boy am I glad I did!! 
Stumbling across a sweet-smelling little shop on the corner of 19th an L streets was a dangerous blessing in disguise!
{via}
And the selection was amazing!
{This represents about 1/3 of the options!}
In the end I took three of the best looking and tasting cupcakes home:
 
 
All three of these were fantastic-
and they sort of blew Georgetown Cupcake's treats out of the water!

No trip is complete without one good, fresh, farm-to-table meal.
Bring on Founding Farmers!
{housed in a certified "green building"}
Located just two blocks from the White House,
Founding Farmers really covers the gammit when it comes to farm cuisine!
{My companion opted for Fried Chicken & Waffles with Lobster Mac & Cheese}
{They serve breakfast all day, and the in-house baked biscuits are to die for!}
 This initial tour of Washintonian cuisine was a success!
I hope that you are able to try out some of these places the next time you head East.

No comments:

Post a Comment