Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Bacon Bran Muffins

Bacon Bran Muffins
When I first saw this video from Reluctantly Healthy, I did a double take! Bacon in bran muffins, what are they thinking? I love bacon and bran muffins, so I just had to try this recipe. These Bacon Bran Muffins are delicious and healthy, too! I love that this recipe contains wheat bran and flax seed. These two ingredients are wonderful sources of fiber and the flax seed is loaded with Omega-3 essential fatty acids. This video was posted on January 16, 2012 by Reluctantly Healthy.
Here is the LINK… be patient through the commercial…it is worth it.
As usual, I changed the order of ingredients in the directions in their recipe, doubled the recipe, and substituted whole-wheat flour for half the unbleached all purpose flour.
Enjoy!

Bacon Bran Muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1 cup low fat buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
3 cups wheat bran
1 cup flax seed
1 cup whole wheat-flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup roughly chopped cooked turkey bacon
1 cup dried fruit, chopped if necessary*
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-muffin tins, with paper liners. In a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle, beat the brown sugar and the applesauce until completely mixed. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and beat until well incorporated. In a mixing bowl, combine the wheat bran, flax seed, whole-wheat flour, unbleached flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and add to the stand mixer bowl. Beat on low speed until the flour mixture is completely mixed into the batter. Beat on medium speed to incorporate. Add the bacon and the dried fruit and mix very well. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester or a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out clean.

*If you use raisins, blueberries, or cherries you probably don’t need to chop them up, however if you use prunes, apricots, peaches, pineapple, or mangos you will need to chop them into raisin sized pieces. I use my food processor for this task.

Tip: I did not need to make any high altitude adjustments to this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, I have seen bacon popping up in so many recipes (even cupcakes). It is intriguing and I'm going to try this recipe to check out this latest food fad. If you like it, I'm sure it is good! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmmm! I'll have to make these. I don't think they'll last long around my kids, having bacon in them! You have always been such a good cook, I think you should write a cook book!

    ReplyDelete